What Are Porcelain Veneers?
A veneer is a thin (yet durable) piece of porcelain. It’s placed on top of a tooth to alter the tooth’s appearance. The color, shape, and size of the veneer are hand-picked by the patient and dentist to help the patient get the smile they want, but also ensuring that the veneer blends in with surrounding teeth.
The Veneer Process
In order to have veneers placed, we must prepare the teeth by removing a portion of enamel. This is an important step to ensure that the veneers lay flat and flush with your other teeth as well as the gumline. Once the teeth are prepared, we’ll take an impression of them to send to our lab where they’ll create your custom veneers. While your permanent veneers are being made, we’ll place temporary veneers on your prepared teeth. When your veneers are ready, we’ll bond them to your teeth and make any adjustments that need to be made at that time. After a quick session to bond them into place, you can start flashing your new and improved smile!
Benefits of Getting Veneers
Many patients are excited to get veneers because they love the beautiful results they achieve. Dental veneers can give your smile a picture-perfect look that is sure to turn heads. Veneers have a variety of benefits, such as:
- They’re long-lasting and don’t need to be replaced for up to 20 years.
- They are stain resistant, so you have more freedom to eat and drink what you want.
- They look and feel natural.
- There is no surgery required, so you don’t have to deal with an extensive recovery period.
- You can brush and floss between your veneers just like you would your other teeth.